I think the crew here at True Fast Food can agree on one thing: chocolate makes everything better. Although it might not be the best topping for pizza or spaghetti (not to us anyways…), chocolate can bring flavor and life to almost any dessert or sweet snack!
To celebrate National Mousse Day, True Fast Food has decided that today (November 30th) would be the perfect day to craft an easy yet delicious chocolate mousse recipe pulled from the brilliant mind of Trey Owens.
Let’s get started!
- 5 ounces of bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup of very cold cream
- 3 large egg whites (no yolk) at room temperature
- Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- Fill a medium saucepan with 2 inches of water, then bring it to a simmer over medium heat.
- Place your chocolate and 1/4 of a cup of the heavy cream in a large, heatproof bowl. (Put the rest of your heavy cream in the fridge for later use) Nest your bowl over your saucepan, making sure your bowl never touches the bubbling water underneath it. Melt the chocolate in the bowl, stirring it occasionally with a rubber spatula or spoon. Continue to stir until your chocolate is smooth and combined nicely with the cream. Remove your bowl from above your saucepan and set it aside to cool.
- Place your egg whites in a second large bowl and whisk. Put some elbow grease into it for about 3 minutes. Set it aside. You will be back for it here in a bit.
- Clean your whisk (or beaters if you’re fancy and use an electric mixer), making sure it’s squeaky clean. Pour your 3/4 cups of heavy cream into another bowl, and whisk (or mix) that as well. Set aside.
- Grab yourself a nice rubber spatula, and use it to fold half of the whipped cream into the melted chocolate. Gently stir in the rest. (Try not to deflate the whipped cream for optimal texture) Now gently fold in your egg whites into your chocolatey cream mixture until you can no longer see any blobs of whipped cream or egg whites.
- Finally, you must spoon your mousse into nice, fancy serving cups. Place your cups full of chocolate goodness into your fridge. Allow it to chill for at least two hours for maximum mousse texture and deliciousness.
Your chocolate mousse is now ready to be consumed. Share it with loved ones, or be greedy and eat every cup yourself. This mousse will be the perfect ending to any meal!